If you don’t pay your lender and do not engage with them in any way (including through Ophelos) they may take further action against you.
If you're in financial difficulty your first step should be to let us know by emailing email@example.com. If you keep us up to date about your circumstances we'll be able to:
- Suggest more specific resources that may help you
- Discuss your options to find something to suit you
- Give you some space if you need time to look into the support available
- Keep your lender up to date so you don’t have to (please note we can only contact companies who have passed your account to us)
What action will my lender take?
The action they take will vary depending on the type of company. Generally, they will contact you after you miss a payment to ask you to pay or check if something is wrong.
Any subsequent action is likely to increase in severity the longer time goes on. This could eventually result in any of the following outcomes:
- You are contacted by a debt collection agency
- Your credit file will be affected
- Your lender could take you to court
Stepchange explain the various steps of the debt collection process here.
You can also find information on what your creditor can and can’t do here.
What if I can’t afford to pay my debt?
It is important to get in touch with your lender (or Ophelos) as soon as possible if you are struggling to pay. You should also get in touch if you have decided to seek further help. This is so they are aware of your situation and will know why you haven’t paid or been able to engage.
When you get in touch, your lender may do the following:
- Discuss your circumstances in more detail and suggest a solution to suit you
- Give you some space to allow you to explore your options
- Refer you to organisations who can offer you help
- Place a hold on any debt collection activity to give you time to find support
Your lender should also deal with someone who is working on your behalf if you would find it difficult to contact them yourself. They will need your explicit permission in order to do so.